Spirit Rock Meditation Center is an internationally known Buddhist-based Insight Meditation retreat center in Marin County, CA (located 19 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge) that offers a range of classes, events, and residential meditation retreats. Spirit Rock is located on a beautiful campus with offices/facilities on 400 acres of land and a staff of approximately 50.
The Communications Associate is responsible for the development, implementation, management and measurement of online and print marketing strategies to increase awareness of and attendance to Spirit Rock programs; partners with Spirit Rock's Development staff to increase giving through the production of cohesive marketing materials; assists the Director of Communications & Technology in the creation of an integrated communications plan (using web, social media, publications, email, direct mail and advertising); and works closely with Development, Program and Events staff as well as Spirit Rock Teachers, to coordinate communications efforts. Specific responsibilities include:
• Design, execute and track marketing strategies to maximize program attendance and giving;
• Develop the advertising schedule for online sites as well as relevant local and national publications;
• Design, create and track email marketing (NetCommunity) and database segmentation (Raiser's Edge);
• Ensure cohesive and consistent brand image/ voice/ tone in all communication efforts;
• Supervise communications from copy writing and design to printing and distribution;
• Write and distribute press releases and materials as needed;
• Maintain website home page and make periodic corrections on other pages on the site;
• Post, monitor and track metrics for Spirit Rock's social media channels;
• Project manage the creation of the Spirit Rock News & Schedule of Events, brochures, flyers, fundraising and other promotional materials;
• Participate in the production, support and/or post-production of live streamed/ filmed program offerings;
• Stay abreast of industry trends and new technologies;
• Oversee volunteers on communications-related projects as needed.
• 5+ years of increased responsibility for a nonprofit's communications and marketing efforts;
• Superior verbal, written and editing/proofreading skills a must;
• Comprehensive knowledge of and ability to communicate about Buddhism and meditation practice is strongly preferred;
• Experience with Adobe Suite; MS Office, Raiser's Edge, NetCommunity and html/css;
• Well-organized with the ability to follow through on multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, non-profit environment;
• Experience in scheduling and managing the workflow of a communications-related project calendar;
• Understanding and familiarity with Web 2.0 and online communication and communities;
• Familiarity with online offerings (podcasts, live stream, e-courses) a plus;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically; Ability to communicate and interact effectively with the public, media, management and staff, teachers and volunteers, including a volunteer Board of Directors.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package includes paid medical, dental, and chiropractic/acupuncture insurance; flexible spending account; 403b retirement savings plan; paid time off to attend Spirit Rock retreats; attendance at Spirit Rock classes; paid vacation; paid holidays; and paid sick leave.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 1, 2013. No telephone calls please.
Spirit Rock is an equal opportunity employer and we place a high value on workforce diversity.