This job is no longer available
Director of Finance
The Bronx Charter School for Children | Bronx NY 10454 USA | Full Time | Posted: 01/11/2013
Director of Finance
Do you want to help break the cycle of poverty in the poorest urban Congressional District in the US?
Are you willing to do whatever it takes to close the achievement gap?
Are you a person who believes he/she can positively change the lives of our students, regardless of other environmental factors?
If you answered “yes” to the three questions above, The Bronx Charter School for Children is looking for you!
Director of Finance Job Description
We seek to hire a results-oriented and experienced leader to serve as the Director of Finance. This essential member of the school leadership team will provide and be accountable for the leadership, strategic direction, management, quality control, and evaluation of all financial operations, programs, and activities.
History of the Bronx Charter School for Children
The Bronx Charter School for Children (BCSC) is an independent, elementary charter school serving 432 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx in New York City. Opened in 2004 with 132 students in Kindergarten and 1st grade, BCSC’s Charter recently received charter renewal through 2016. In 2012 the school began its transition from its start-up phase to becoming a continually high performing school focused on excellence.
Educational Philosophy: BCSC adheres to the following approach to learning:
BCSC aspires to help scholars make connections between facts, foster new understanding and think critically. Teachers tailor their developmentally appropriate strategies to student responses and encourage critical thinking through analysis, interpretation and prediction – all in the context of the child’s socio-emotional development, interpersonal relationships and support. As such, the learning environment facilitates a deep understanding of individual needs and targeted instruction. This strong foundation to learning and skill development propels our scholars to change their future trajectory.
Values: Members of the BCSC Community will display the following:
• Understanding and Passion for Urban Education: Drive to make a difference in vulnerable lives…inspiring children to set and achieve stretch goals…culturally sensitive: comfort and impact in the community.
• Commitment to Children: Create a positive learning environment…utilizes developmentally appropriate techniques to create and sustain a love of learning…positive and effective behavior management.
• Collaborates for a Cause: Holds self and others accountable for BCSC’s mission and goals…. high energy to achieve goals, willingly crosses boundaries to achieve the mission…seeks and provides feedback to improve individual and others’ performance…treats others with respect and dignity.
• Analytical/Data Driven in Pursuit of Excellence: Leverages systems and information to improve decision making and performance…makes fact based decisions…monitors performance trends to offer and measure improvement.
• Flexible/Innovative/Adaptive for Goal Attainment: Able to think outside the box and proactively seeks new solutions, ideas and approached…adaptable, open minded…takes calculated risks, strong problem solver.
• Lifelong Learner: Able to master and apply new information quickly…reflective; learns from experiences to improve performance…seeks out and leverages professional development.
The BCSC Director of Finance Ensures the Sound Financial Management of the School
• Maintain a General Ledger System and Chart of Accounts in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• Ensure proper recording of all transactions in QuickBooks.
• Prepare regular reports for the Executive Director and the Treasurer of the BCSC Board of Trustees, including the preparation of monthly financial statements for presentation at the monthly board meetings.
• Manage the yearly closing process.
• Manage all financial audits and determine the need for an OMB Circular A-133 audit on a yearly basis.
• Coordinate tax filings with external accountants.
• Issue tax notices (1099’s) to vendors and contractors yearly, as required.
• Implement accounting policies and internal control procedures.
• Prepare and monitor the annual budget.
• Process purchase order approvals and requests.
• Prepare reports for the NYS Education Department, the NYC Department of Education, and a range of governmental oversight agencies (compliance reports, annual reports, renewal application, program reports).
• Ensure proper documentation and implementation of government-funded grant programs (e.g. NCLB, e-rate).
• Establish minimum vendor requirements (e.g. insurance) and evaluate vendors and contractors to insure they meet the minimum requirements to work in the school.
The BCSC Director of Finance Manages Recruitment and HR Functions
• Establish employment files/database and ensure employment laws and regulations are followed.
• Ensure compliance with teacher certification regulations and staff and vendor criminal clearance.
• Draft new and revise existing personnel policies, revising staff manual as needed.
• Provide guidance to the Head of School for staff disciplinary and termination actions.
• Perform staff exit interviews and recommend ways to use the feedback constructively.
The BCSC Director of Finance Monitors and Addresses Legal/Compliance Matters
• Maintain contact between the school and legal counsel.
• Consult with legal counsel for employment and other compliance related matters.
• Work closely with the Executive Director to monitor and address compliance matters, including legal and governmental concerns.
The BCSC Director of Finance contributes to School-Wide Strategic Planning, Fundraising and Facilities Management Efforts
• Assist Head of School/Director of Development with fundraising efforts, including researching potential public/governmental funding sources.
• Develop programming and protocols as a member of the Leadership Team.
• Participate in Board of Trustees Finance and Facilities Committees.
• Manage the financial aspects of special grants and projects.
• Contribute financial and management perspective to school planning and operations.
The BCSC Director of Finance Partners with Families
• Prepare monthly financial reports for the Family Staff Association treasurer.
• Interface with the Director of Operations regarding the tracking of funds for Family Staff Association fundraisers.
Director of Finance Role Qualifications
• Degree in Business and/or Management and at least five years of experience in a management/operations/finance role
• Experience in nonprofit setting preferred, experience in a school setting required.
• At least three years of supervisory experience
• Certified Public Accountant
• Demonstrated ability to implement policies and procedures
• Ability to work closely with diverse audiences including Board of Trustees, Funders, Instructional Leaders, Operations staff, vendors and other stakeholders.
Go to our website www.TBCSC.org and submit a cover letter addressing why you would be an outstanding addition to BCSC, including responses to the short answer questions and an updated resume. Resumes without a cover letter or short answer responses will not be reviewed.
We will directly contact candidates who meet our criteria in order to arrange a phone interview. BCSC is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds.
Please respond to both questions in 250 words or less.
• Define your responsibilities as a support staff person as they relate to students, parents and colleagues.
• What does accountability mean within the context of a school?
|Location||Bronx, NY, 10454, United States|
|Categories||Accounting - Finance|
|Experience Years||5 yrs|
|Visa Sponsorship||Do not sponsor.|
|Pref Major||Business and/or Management|
|Certifications||• Degree in Business and/or Management and at least five years of experience in a management/operations/finance role • Experience in nonprofit setting preferred, experience in a school setting required. • At least three years of supervisory experience • Certified Public Accountant • Demonstrated ability to implement policies and procedures • Ability to work closely with diverse audiences including Board of Trustees, Funders, Instructional Leaders, Operations staff, vendors and other stakeholders.|
|Contact Name||Candice Manzano|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Director of Finance|