This job is no longer available
Community Engagement Manager
Benevolent | Detroit MI 48201 USA | Full Time | Posted: 01/11/2013
Community Engagement Manager
Benevolent (www.benevolent.net) seeks an experienced Community Engagement Manager to launch and lead our Detroit community networking and expansion.
We’re looking for someone who is confident and comfortable in bringing ideas to the table, innovating and keeping up with an ever-evolving organization and role. We’re a learning, growing start-up, and need you to dig in, learn from doing, collaborate widely and seek impact at our breakneck pace.
Bring your professionalism, communication and networking skills, attention to detail, scrappy can-do approach, independent and strong work ethic, and passionate commitment to help us drive impactful social change.
Benevolent enables small dollar donors to step into the stories of low-income individuals in their community, becoming central drivers to their success overcoming a one-time financial hurdle.
By leveraging technology to connect three types of people – a person with a need, a nonprofit provider, and an everyday donor – we enable community engagement at the most personal of levels, inviting those who want to make a difference to do so in a connected, high-touch, impactful way.
We’re transforming the way we give and get support based upon two basic truths:
- Low-income adults are often thwarted from personal progress by one-time challenges that cost only a few hundred dollars to overcome.
- Those who wish to give often seek a personal connection and direct impact through their giving.
Our work is one part technology, two parts relationship. Nonprofits in local communities (social service, workforce development, place of worship...) turn to us when they would otherwise have to say to their client, “I’m so sorry, we don’t have a fund to help you with that.” Each need is validated, managed, fulfilled and tracked by our nonprofit partners who have an ongoing relationship with the individual seeking help.
Megan Kashner founded Benevolentin 2011 with the belief that by leveraging the power of personal storytelling, we can alleviate the very real struggles of those who face hurdles along their path to stability and success. Our approach is born of experience across social service organizations and a deep knowledge of the gap that exists for our local nonprofits as their low-income clients face one-time challenges specific to their circumstances and personal goals.
As our first-ever Detroit employee, you will launch and lead our Detroit community networking and expansion. You will work closely with our Chicago headquarters bring local nonprofit partnerships, individual needs, individual donors and private and corporate partnerships to fuel our success.
Design and execute a Community Engagement strategy for Detroit area nonprofits, including:
- Developing and nurturing relationships with key leaders and organizaitons
- Support and training of nonprofit professionals
- Direct coordination with national team in Chicago and colleagues in other cities
Represent us across divers audiences and arenas including:
- Local press
- Industry-specific events and conferences
- Nonprofit sector and philanthropic networks
Support national development and partnerships efforts in the local community by:
- Supporting efforts to establish and nurture relationships with local private and corporate foundations
- Identify and support opportunities to forge partnerships with local corporations, brands, media and other organizations
Develop a tailored communications strategy specific to the Detroit area target groups and communities.
Recruit, train, manage and support volunteers in order to extend and support the workin in the local area.
Characteristics of our Ideal Candidate
- Strong experience in forging, nurturing and managing relationships
- Comfort in front of nonprofit partners articulating our value proposition and asking for active participation in our model
- Significant knowledge of community organizations, resources and leaders
- Inherent understanding and respect for community and organizational culture and diversity
- Experience with and perspective on the needs and circumstances inherent to individuals and families living in low income circumstances in the metropolitan region
- Understanding, experience and/or passion for social entrepreneurship and innovation
- An organized, self-motivated, scrappy approach to getting things done
- Comfort in an untraditional and fast paced work environment
- A high sense of responsibility for progress, communication and success
- Excellent project management skills - ability to prioritize and organize tasks
- Advanced writing skills and excellent verbal skills - bilingual a plus
- Track record of working and engaging well with diverse audiences
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Experienced in social service or community organizing and development
- Fluid in mastering new technologies and digital platforms
- Creative problem solver; able to adapt quickly to change
- B.A. required in social work, nonprofit or public administration, planning, business or related field
- M.A. preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and the ability to use a personal vehicle and public transportation to visit and attend meetings across the community
- Hold and attend meetings across the Detroit area and work and communicate during unconventional hours as needed
- Ability to work from home or in borrowed space in a community partner’s office
Send your resume, writing sample and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "Community Engagement Manager - Detroit.” We’ll contact you if we’d like to move forward to the next stage of consideration.
|Location||Detroit, MI, 48201, United States|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|
|Job Code||Community Engagement Manager|