Friends of the Urban Forest performs two community tree plantings per month around San Francisco. The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the individuals who are receiving trees and the volunteers who are helping to plant trees at these events each month.
This primarily consists of receiving inbound calls and emails from individuals who are newly interested in participating and making outgoing calls and emails to individuals who have previously expressed an interest in participating.
The main metric for evaluating the Volunteer Coordinator is the percentage of interested individuals who actually participate.
- Volunteer coordination experience
- Good relationship-building skills
- Affable phone presence
- Persuasive, enthusiatic, and goal-oriented individual
- Arbor-related knowledge is a plus, but not required
I. Potential Planter Coordination 50%:
• Receive calls and emails from individuals interested in getting a tree
• Explain the necessary process and paperwork and answer any questions
• Perform reminder calls to individuals who have already expressed an interest in getting a tree
• Track the potential planters through a spreadsheet and organizational structure
II. Volunteer Coordination 50%:
• Oversee the Volunteer Program section on the FUF website.
• Respond to individuals and groups requesting for volunteer opportunities.
• Point person for corporate volunteer events
• Maintain a volunteer log to keep track of volunteers contacted and update as necessary to add new volunteers.
• Schedule corporate groups and schools to volunteer with appropriate staff person (i.e. plantings, tree care, sidewalk landscaping, or tree nursery work days)
• Oversee regular communication with volunteers
• Update volunteer lists to keep database current with active volunteers.
• Oversee two volunteer recognition events with assistance from staff per year
Hours: 20 hours per week including some evening and weekend meetings. Hours subject to change at management discretion.
Compensation: $18,000 to $20,000 per year, depending on experience. 50% of full-time employee benefits.
To apply: Please submit brief cover letter and resume