OMRI is hiring a full-time Software Programmer
The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) plays a critical role in the organic industry as the leading certifier of material inputs for use in organic agriculture and food processing. Driven by a steadfast commitment to organic integrity, OMRI's operations continue to expand and recently attained national recognition and international accreditation.
OMRI publishes its comprehensive list of 'OMRI Listed' products suitable for organic use and other reference information in print and online. Farmers, certifiers, gardeners, and agricultural professionals depend upon the OMRI lists of commercial products and generic materials permitted according to USDA organic rules.
Overview of position
As a Software Programmer, you will maintain and improve custom database and website software for the organization. You will work with the IT Director and OMRI staff to design new software libraries and interfaces, test the software and release it into production. You will plan formal trainings to teach staff how to use the software and provide informal support upon request. On occasion, you will also provide helpdesk support to staff for general hardware and industry-standard software issues.
Database and Software Design
* Collaborate with the IT Director and OMRI staff to assess software needs and design new features from a user's perspective
* Create and revise custom user interfaces and reports in collaboration with OMRI staff
* Work with the IT Director to design database schemas and arrange existing and custom software libraries to create the desired features
Software Programming and Implementation
* Commit clear and well-documented code into version control systems that adheres to the principals of maintainable software
* Identify, document, test, and correct bugs in existing code in collaboration with OMRI staff
* Update database records and schema in conjunction with code revisions
Training and Helpdesk
* Collaborate with staff to prepare documentation that describes how to use software to accomplish specific tasks
* Plan and present formal trainings to teach staff how to use the software to accomplish their tasks
* Respond to direct requests for immediate assistance from OMRI staff by troubleshooting, solving, and documenting urgent problems with custom software
* Respond to direct requests for general computer assistance from OMRI staff by troubleshooting, solving, and documenting urgent problems with hardware and software
* Ability to work occasional nights and weekends, if required.
* Ability to travel domestically.
* An annual motor vehicle report and proof of auto insurance may be required.
- Education: Degree in computer science preferred
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience in software programming and database management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High level of proficiency with a wide range of computer software and hardware
- Fundamental Windows workstation administration
- General relational database theory and software design principals
+ Database design: SQL Server, Access, MySQL
+ C# programming, PHP programming, and VB.NET programming
+ Entity Framework, Windows Forms, or WPF programming
+ Reporting software: SSRS, Crystal Reports
+ Windows Server programming/administration
+ Website content management using Drupal and PHP
+ Working knowledge of document control processes and techniques
+ Knowledge of the Organic food industry
+ Knowledge of chemistry
* Full time (40hrs/week), salaried employee
* Small nonprofit organization with established team and demonstrated commercial success.
* Opportunities for training and coursework.
* Casual, fun work environment.
Ideally, the candidate selected would be able to start the job in March 2013.
How to apply
Please see the full job announcement at http://www.omri.org/jobs/software-programmer
February 15, 2013 or until filled.