Open Door Community, Atlanta, GA
Accounting Administrator, Part-Time (25 - 30 hours per week)
OPEN DOOR COMMUNITY
The Open Door Community is a residential community in Atlanta, Georgia, founded in 1981, that is rooted in the Catholic Worker tradition; it is sometimes called a Protestant Catholic Worker community. The community seeks to dismantle racism, sexism and heterosexism, abolish the death penalty, and proclaim the Beloved Community through loving relationships with some of the most neglected and outcast of God’s children: the homeless and our sisters and brothers who are in prison. In addition to weekly works of mercy, the Open Door is the publisher of Hospitality newspaper, with a readership of over 15,000 worldwide.
The Open Door seeks a part-time accounting administrator to support the work of the community.
• Bookkeeping: process donations; pay bills; write checks; manage and reconcile bank account; order money orders; oversee petty cash and stipends; categorize expenditures and record in QuickBooks; record all checks and deposits in QuickBooks.
• Taxes: oversee withholding for employees; prepare/file monthly, quarterly and yearly IRS reports; work with accountant for preparation of IRS 990 forms.
• Database/mailing list for Hospitality newspaper: coordinate all data entry; prepare files for transmission to bulk mail processor for mailing; oversee, supervise delivery to Open Door and Atlanta Direct solutions.
• Other tasks: maintain credit cards and all community accounts; provide periodic financial reports and analysis to leadership team; prepare financial reports for bi-annual advisory board meeting, assess needs for special fundraising; attend and act as minutes recorder for leadership team meetings, maintain minutes book; coordinate computer needs and issues with IT representative.
• Resolve administrative problems and inquiries with minimal supervision.
• Cultivate relationships and maintain familiarity with all immediate and extended members of Open Door Community.
• Maintain house phone system (internal and external); maintain cell phones (purchasing, upgrading, adding lines).
• Order supplies.
• Coordinate facility repairs and building maintenance; assess and recommend work needed, negotiate with vendors and manage projects.
• Maintain vendor relationships with local, internet, and other vendors; maintain list of vendors and repair companies; schedule and supervise house inspections.
• A demonstrated commitment to social justice and radical hospitality for the poor.
• Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office and QuickBooks. Knowledge of File Maker Pro or other database software preferred.
• Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Preferred minimum of 5 years experience working in an office setting with accounting tasks.
• Ability to assess, address and resolve issues and problems with minimal supervision.
• Detailed knowledge of administrative and accounting procedures and systems.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of basic office management.
• Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
• Monday-Friday, 25 hours per week; some evening and weekend hours required on occasion. Some flexibility with regard to days of week to work.
• Paid sick, holiday, and vacation time.
Send cover letter, resume and two professional references to: email@example.com.
No phone calls, please. Due to the large number of applicants expected, we regret that we cannot acknowledge receipt of applications or respond to inquiries about the position.
For more information about the Open Door Community please visit www.opendoorcommunity.org. Applicants are strongly encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Open’s Door’s mission and philosophy prior to applying.