St. Barnabas Senior Services (SBSS), a dynamic and growing organization, is seeking a Director of Development. SBSS provides and promotes a continuum of innovative services that empower a diverse community of elders to live well, feel well, and age well.
Reporting to the President/CEO, and working closely with the agency’s senior management team, Fund Development Committee and Board of Directors, the Director of Development is the principal Development expert of the agency, directing all fundraising activities.
The Director of Development is responsible for creating, executing and continuously evaluating comprehensive strategies that increase levels of support from current donors—foundations, businesses, individuals--- rekindle interest from lapsed donors, and engage high-potential prospective donors. The position ensures that excellent relationships are maintained with donors and that donations are carefully stewarded as intended by the donors; and that all approved fundraising strategies are fully implemented and annual and long-term fundraising goals are met.
• Leads all aspects of the organization’s development program under the direction of the President/CEO and Board.
• Leads the organization’s foundation solicitation, major gifts, corporate sponsorship, annual fund and donor cultivation activities, as well as special events, ensuring that annual and capital goals are met.
• Prepares and/or directs the preparation, of funding proposals; collaborates with agency program delivery and finance staff to develop proposal content that effectively describes services to be provided and/or currently provided.
• Manages staff, volunteers, interns and all internal and external resources in support of fundraising functions.
• Manages the planning, implementation and evaluation of all fundraising events, donor cultivation events and events designed to enhance organization visibility,
• Initiates new fundraising initiatives and services to enhance organizational resources and support organizational growth.
• Develops and implements systems and procedures to support prospect development, donor cultivation, solicitation and recognition, as well as accurate and organized recordkeeping.
• Provides dynamic support to the President/CEO and Board through innovative thinking and superior leadership in order to successfully develop and implement key fundraising initiatives.
• Anticipates changing community needs with vision and imagination, initiates long-range fundraising planning, and is responsible and accountable for the business-like implementation of these plans, including budget development and management.
• Plans and implements best practices in fundraising, develops new techniques and technologies for maximizing organizational fundraising potential.
• Prepares regular reports on status of funding opportunities, submitted proposals and fundraising activities and programs.
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
• Understands the mission of SBSS.
• Familiarity with and knowledge of funding sources for senior concerns.
• Strong business, analytical, strategic, financial, and planning skills as demonstrated in previous positions.
• Fundraising management experience, in non-profit and community based settings, including donor prospecting and cultivation, annual gifts, major gifts, special events, and grant writing, and proven leadership ability.
• Possesses a broad array of executive multi-tasking skills involving substantial challenges and opportunities.
• Familiarity with key funding sources in human services,
• Progressive professional fundraising experience and an exceptional track-record in developing and implementing fundraising programs/activities, and achieving philanthropic goals.
• Demonstrated capability with information technology and the capacity to adapt new technologies to enhance fundraising outcomes.
• Highly-developed oral and written communication skills, and the vision, charisma, and dynamism necessary to project and promote the mission of the organization.
• Builds and maintains successful community networks to support the fundraising initiatives of the agency.
• Ability to relate to prospective donors and to build a universe of friends of the organization in the business and philanthropic communities, including CEOs and board members.
• Exceptional listening skills, a collaborative style coupled with adaptability and flexibility, high energy and the ability to prioritize.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The Director of Development will be thoroughly committed to the strategy and mission of the agency. All candidates should have demonstrated leadership, coaching and relationship management experience and strong demonstrated success managing funder relationships; also substantial experience with the entire grant and funding proposal process.
To be considered, qualified candidates must possess:
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Business Administration or Human Services, graduate degree preferred.
• Minimum five-ten years recent experience as the Director of Development, deputy or similar position - with substantial responsibilities and authority – to a Director, Fundraising, or higher level classification in a non-profit organization.
• Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic objectives, work with multiple types of funders, and manage professional staff and budgets.
We offer a competitive salary based upon experience.
To be considered for this position, please submit cover letter, resume, salary history and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.