Youth Radio is the nation's premiere youth media organization. Since 1992 Youth Radio has trained thousands of teenagers in broadcast journalism, engineering, web design, media literacy, and more. The broadcasts of our students have won numerous awards including the Peabody Award and two Edward R. Murrow Awards, as well as awards from American Women in Radio & Television and the National Association of Black Journalists. Youth Radio reporters are regular contributors to national outlets including National Public Radio, the Pacifica Network, and iTunes, and our programming now reaches an estimated audience of 27 million each year.
The Finance Director is a management position based in downtown Oakland. The Finance Director will supervise the FT Accounting Manager and FT Bookkeeper. The Finance Team also includes a consultant C.F.O. who works with the Finance Director about 4-6 hours per month to provide guidance and review transactions. We would be willing to look at a 4-day or even 3-day workweek for the ideal candidate.
• Supervision: Supervise Accounting Manager and Bookkeeper.
• Financial Accounting: conducts general accounting operation and establishes and maintains appropriate internal controls. Leads the annual financial audits and tax return preparation.
• Financial Strategy, Management and Planning: Assist Executive Director in financial management and strategy for the organization and coordinates the annual budgeting process.
• Cash Management/Investment: Conducts cash and operating performance forecasting. Manages cash funds for the organization.
• Reporting: Produce monthly and year-end financial statements and reports for management staff and the board of directors. Responsible for ensuring both accurate and relevant information is presented to the agency’s grantors, lenders and leadership on a timely basis.
• Manage Capital Campaign Transactions: ensure that all loans and other financial obligations are paid on a current basis. Ensure that all loan and regulatory covenants are in compliance.
• Development: Monitor grant reporting deadlines and provide financial reports to Development Director.
• Human Resources: Work with the Director of Operations to evaluate, monitor and improve employee benefits.
• Board: Prepare for board meetings, communicate with the board of directors as needed
Work Experience Requirements:
• Minimum of five years of experience in non-profit finance.
• Working knowledge of manual and automated accounting systems including QuickBooks (required qualification) and MIP Fund Accounting software (desired qualification but not required).
• Extremely strong financial analysis capabilities.
• Excellent math skills, with emphasis on accuracy and precision.
• Strategic thinker/creative problem solver with the ability to take a big-picture approach to problem solving and understand the long-term view and objectives and develop creative solutions.
• Can effectively manage conflicting agendas, adjusts readily to multiple demands, shifting priorities, and rapid change.
• Develops effective working relationships, handles situations with credibility, honesty, professionalism, and confidence.
• Works effectively on own with minimal direction or feedback; and willingly makes own decisions.
• Ability to operate as a member of a team by openly sharing information and ideas, proactively seeking input and feedback to enhance individual performance and that of team, and a willingness to take on other responsibilities when workloads or shifting priorities require it.
• Possess strong computer skills in Excel, and accounting systems.
• Strong communication and presentation skills.
• Ability to represent the agency with confidence in a variety of situations.
Salary commensurate with experience and skills.
At a minimum, all application materials should include:
• Cover Letter
• Names and contact information of four professional references
• Salary history
Final Submission Date:
Open until filled
Oakland, CA 94612
No calls, please.
Youth Radio is committed to maintaining a diverse, multi-cultural working environment.