Scion Executive Search (www.scionexecutivesearch.com) has been engaged to conduct the search for a new Communications Director for our client, SEIU Local 1000. This position is for immediate hire and is based in their Sacramento, California, office.
SEIU Local 1000 is a prominent public sector union with 95,000 professionally and geographically diverse members. Their mission is to engage, mobilize and represent their members to effect social and economic change for all. The person selected to join them will share their values in promoting social change for working people.
Local 1000’s Communications Department is a cutting-edge operation that develops and sends dynamic messaging across every platform - print, electronic, and online. SEIU Local 1000 is seeking a bold, creative Communications Director who is prepared to lead the department in mobilizing thousands through their flair for digital and media imagery and wordplay.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Communications Director drives all marketing and communications on behalf of the union. The ideal candidate for this position will live and breathe media and design. They’ll lead a diverse, experienced team to engage members, capture admiration of the press, and contain the next crisis. The successful candidate will have an endless supply of passion for new ideas, and deep experience in online marketing, communications and branding.
The new Communications Director will be responsible for immediately evaluating SEIU Local 1000’s current approaches and producing a strategic plan that defines and shapes the Department’s mission for the next two years.
· Develop, manage, and implement Local 1000’s communication/marketing plan.
· Design strategies in public relations, themes, messages and branding.
· Create and manage media strategy to generate heat for their top priorities, engage their members, and build support for their vision of service to California.
· Work closely with Officers and staff to build coalitions, map media relations, and grow their networks.
· Expand SEIU Local 1000’s presence in online environments and digital landscapes.
· Produce messages using a variety of styles, including TV, newsletters, blogs, digital and new media formats.
· Coordinate daily production of member and outreach communications bulletins, action alerts, event announcements, special appeals, and electronic newsletters.
· Coordinate content, production and distribution of special projects such as reports, booth displays, DVDs, Power Points, brochures, backgrounders, etc.
· Coordinate media and public relations for events including conventions, town halls, and Executive Board meetings.
· Create relationships with print, electronic and on-line reporters and blog-writers. Provide reliable, timely information and connect them to Local 1000 spokespersons.
· Attend frequent special events in the evenings and/or weekends, which oftentimes require overnight travel.
EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
· Five prior years of marketing leadership experience managing and creating communications for an advocacy audience.
· Prior website management, graphic design, and media relations expertise.
· Excellent writing, editing, design, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Prior experience designing and producing strategic communications for organizing, political campaigns, and during collective bargaining a plus.
· Knowledge of video, photo-editing and document-design programs.
· Ability to respond immediately and calmly to events and issues in a 24-hour, on-call environment unique to emergencies or special circumstances.
· Experience handling sensitive and confidential issues.
· Flexibility to travel and work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
· Bachelor’s Degree in media, communications, marketing, writing, or related area required.
· Prior fundraising knowledge highly desired.
· Familiarity with local and national media.
SALARY & BENEFITS
SEIU is committed to building a diverse workforce. SEIU offers excellent benefits, including fully paid health benefits for employee and family, pension plan, liberal paid time off and a competitive starting base salary of $110, 000 to $125,000 DOE. All applicants must be able to furnish proof of authorization to work in the United States.
HOW TO APPLY
For immediate consideration please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Your resume and cover letter should describe your qualifications, experience and career goals, as well as a brief description of why you want to work to realize SEIU Local 1000’s vision for building a strong union.
ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 1000
SEIU Local 1000 represents 95,000 California state employees in nine different bargaining units. Represented employees include professionals, educators, nurses, service employees, engineering and scientific technicians, administrative, office and support employees. Local 1000 has approximately 200 employees who work in six offices throughout the state.
ABOUT OUR FIRM
Scion Executive Search is a retained executive search firm connecting executive nonprofit leadership to nonprofit organizations and foundations across the country. Born out of the nonprofit sector, we provide expert search strategies and leadership for your organization. Our executive candidates are true agents for change, and we are experts at matching their talents, motivations, and passions to your organization’s mission. Scion Executive Search has led hundreds of successful executive searches. Information about our firm and successes can be found online at www.nonprofitexecutivesearchfirm.com.